I wrote a post a while back on taking your time when working towards living a more eco-conscious lifestyle. It is a process and a journey that we are all on..we do what we can, when we can. I have gotten to a pretty good place in my home where we use all non toxic cleaning products, recycle, don’t use plastic baggies, don’t buy water bottles, eat organic food, use compostable trash bags, etc, but the one thing I was not ready to kick to the curb was my use of paper towels. They are just so darn convenient! Well, the time has come. I finally got intrigued enough to buy a product I saw at my local Whole Foods called Bambooee. Bambooee is a roll of 20 reusable towels made from an organic bamboo source where it is harvested using sustainable and green practices. Once harvested, bamboo regrows new sprouts every year. The harvesting techniques used by their growers assures that the bamboo forests where Bambooee comes from continues to grow and yield the same amount of bamboo yearly. Regular paper towels are made from trees. Trees do not regrow once harvested. Well, I can now tell you that they are freakin’ AWESOME!! They are just like paper towels except, stronger, softer, and best of all, washable and reusable!!! One roll of Bambooee is equivalent to using 286 rolls of paper towels! I used to use 2-3 paper towels when cleaning up my toddler after a meal. Now I use one Bambooee towel. I wet it, wring it out, clean his hands, face and tray. Then I rinse it, squeeze out the excess water and hang it on my dish rack until the next meal. I can even use one for more than one day! I keep a little bag under my kitchen sink, and when I’ve used one enough I’ll pop it in there until I have a few to wash. You can wash them in the washing machine, with your clothes, in cold or hot water and hang dry. They say that one sheet will last up to 100+ washes. Amazing. I am so happy to have found a way to replace my paper towel use, that is proving to work even better than paper towels! This does not feel like a compromise at all. Go get them, you won’t regret it.
Below are some other ways Bambooee suggests you try to save trees and join the anti paper revolution..
1. Use Bambooee. No need to use regular paper towels any more. One roll of Bambooee replaces up to six months worth of paper towel use.
2. Use cloth napkins.
3. Ask yourself, “Do I need to print this?” We all get printer happy at times.
4. Bring your own cup to the coffee shop and to work.
5. Re-use paper bags or bring your own reusable bags to the market.
6. Share magazines with friends and family or just browse the magazine online.
7. Curb junk mail. Call and ask to be taken off their mailing lists.
8. Make your own cards for birthday’s and thank you’s.
9. Pay bills online and ask for paperless statements.
10. Say no to paper plates. Bring your own ceramic plate to work and leave it there. It’s easier than you think.