We all love ketchup. But unfortunately, even organic ketchup contains sugar, which I would like to avoid as much as possible. So, I started looking for a homemade recipe and came across this quick and easy recipe for homemade ketchup on the Mommypotamus blog that replaces the sugar with raw honey or grade B maple syrup, both of which contain healthy enzymes and minerals. Genius.
Quick Homemade Organic Ketchup
- 12-14 ounces organic tomato paste (my favorite tomato paste comes in 7 oz jars)
- 1/3 cup organic raw honey or organic maple syrup (Grade B is best – it has more minerals than Grade A)
- 1/2 cup organic apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons organic onion powder
- 1 teaspoon unrefined sea salt
- 1/4 scant teaspooon organic allspice
1. Place all ingredients in a small pot/pan and whisk together.
2. Place on the stove and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until reduced to the consistency you prefer. Store in the fridge.
Shelf life: Many online recipes for homemade ketchup say they last in the fridge for 1-2 weeks.